Fortified wine is a perfect drink to sip after dinner or with dessert, but their luscious sweetness also makes them suitable in the kitchen. A lighter youthful style like our Barossa Semillon and Barossa Muscat is similar to using sugar syrup and can substitute sweet ingredients. Learn more about cooking with different styles of fortified such as Tawny Port and Apera (Sherry).
This grown-up ice cream sundae combines sweet fortified wine and honey into a delicious syrup that plumps up dried fruit, turning a summery dessert into an extravagance. Use your choice of dried fruit and nuts or whatever you have at hand.
Prep 5 mins Cook 20 mins Makes 6 Difficulty Easy
- 1/2 cup Fortified Barossa Semillon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried figs, sliced
- 2 tbsp dried currants
- 1/2 cup toasted pistachios or almonds, finely chopped
- 6 cups vanilla ice cream
- Heat fortified wine and honey in a small saucepan over low heat for a few minutes.
- Stir in dried fruit, cover, and remove from heat. Allow to stand for 20 minutes.
- Stir in toasted nuts just prior to serving.
- Divide ice cream into serving bowls and pour sauce over the top.