Liebichwein Home Barrel Competition
Do you have your own home barrel?
Are you proud of how it is developing?
Would you like feedback from an experienced winemaker?
Liebichwein run this unique wine judging competition for home barrel owners to compete for the honorary title of BEST HOME BARREL BLEND in Australia.
This is your chance to win bragging rights and a swag of rare fortified wines that can be used as blending material. Gain recognition for your wine blending skills and receive valuable feedback from a winemaker with over 50 years experience producing fortified wine styles.
Liebichwein take great pride in offering fortified wines for home barrel owners and aim to reward the patience and skill in taking on this challenge. Budding winemakers are encouraged to enter one or more samples of their own home barrel fortified for professional evaluation by Ron Liebich and an experienced wine judging panel.
- Liebichwein Home Barrel Competition is open to all home barrel owners Australia-wide
- Entry forms, fees and samples are to be received by the due date to be eligible.
- Sample size required is minimum 200mL in a well-sealed glass bottle/jar with secure packaging
- Entry fee is $10 per sample
- Each entry must have a separate entry form
- All entries must be labelled with entrant’s name, phone number and email
- All entries can be delivered to Liebichwein during cellar door hours or posted to the winery
- All wines will be judged in a blind tasting by an experienced panel
- Prizes will be awarded to the Top 3 wines
- Tasting notes and feedback will be provided to each entrant
- Entries close Friday 27th September 2019
- Sample delivery due by Sunday 29th September 2019
- Winners announced in early October 2019
For more information, please email email@example.com
Announcing the winners of the prestigious ?Best Home Barrel Blend” for the 2018 competition. Judging took place in September with three expert judges deliberating samples of Tawny and white fortified wines sent in from our customer base.
Wines were very high standard with very little to pick on in terms of faults. All entries were worthy of medals. The winning wines showed complex flavours, great depth and balance. Entrants gained Ron?s specialist advice on how to improve their blend, which we believe is the most important outcome of this event.
Thanks to everyone who entered and helps support our business. We are only too happy to help you with our complete range of fortifieds to achieve the best results for your barrels.
Congratulations to all winners!
First Place: John Ridenour
Second Place: Martin Kennedy
Third Place: Filippo Pizzino
Ron Liebich’s winemaking comments:
Smaller barrels need to be “worked” to achieve best results. It is ok to have great rancio characters, the high ratio of wood in small barrels to wine means adding younger wine at times, preferably with minimum wood age (such as Ruby Fortified) as a portion of the addition. Youthful fortifieds are perfect for blending out excess wood tannin and maintaining fruit wood balance. The gold winners had the best balance of fruit and oak integration, indicating good management and? patience.
We’re absolutely thrilled with results from the Barossa Wine Show 2018. Ron has outdone himself picking up a Trophy for Museum Fortified for the second year in a row. Rare Tawny was crowned Best Museum Red Fortified. Last year saw Rare Semillon get a similar honour in the Best Museum White Fortified Class.
All entries from around the Barossa region were such high calibre, we’re proud to be among the same company. Congratulations to all other medal and trophy winners.
Other Liebichwein medal winners:
- Rare Frontignac = SILVER (yet to be released)
- 2018 Vintage Fortified Petit Verdot (baby VP – yet to be released) = BRONZE
- Classic Muscat = BRONZE
- Lovely Sparkling Pinot Noir NV = BRONZE
Home barrel owners have the chance to be crowned with??best fortified blend?. Do you have a port you are proud of or simply want some advice to make it even better?
Having a home barrel to age your own wine is fantastic!?By running this competition, we aim to reward the patience and skill in taking on this challenge. Budding winemakers are encouraged to enter one or more samples of their own home barrel fortified for professional evaluation by Ron and an experienced judging panel.
Home Barrel Competition entries are open now to all home barrel owners Australia-wide as long as a 200mL wine sample can be sent without spilling a precious drop. All entries must be received by 8th September 2018?for judging (entry fee $10 per wine). Entries can be dropped off at Liebichwein during cellar door hours or posted to the winery in a well-sealed bottle/jar with secure packaging.??Prizes awarded for the Top 3 wines selected and will be announced by the end of September. First prize is a specially made dipstick trophy, a set of rare fortified wines and bragging rights. Second and third prizes are a 375 mL bottle of rare fortified wine aged over 20 years old which can be used as blending material for your barrel.
Home Barrel Competition Entry Form
Barossa Wine Show 2017 judging was held in September. Liebichwein are very proud to report that their fortified wines received the following awards:
- Gold medal and overall Trophy for Best Museum White Fortified – Liebich?Rare Semillon
- Silver medal? – Liebichwein?Classic Muscat
See all results from the competition here.